Understanding Japanese Business Etiquette
Learn Japanese business etiquette and formulate strategies to improve business outcomes
If you are planning to relocate to Japan for work or are currently undertaking a business deal with Japanese business partners, this course would be ideal for you. The Japanese style of communication is highly ritualized and requires an appreciation of nuances. Even the preferred form of greeting – the bow – has various connotations depending on how deep you bow, how long you bow and so on. Taking this course can help you appreciate the requirements for Japanese business culture and build deeper relationships with Japanese clients and stakeholders. Course coverage includes negotiating strategies with Japanese partners and case studies. (Note: this is the online version of the course – it is delivered via video conference, by a live instructor. If you are looking for an onsite version to be delivered at your company premises by the instructor anywhere in India, please go here: Japanese Business Etiquette (Onsite Course)
1 session x 3 hours
iRikai instructor with experience in dealing with Japanese stakeholders
Within 2 working days of enrolment
- Learn about Japan: its history, politics, education system, culture, contemporary challenges etc.
- Learn Japanese cultural traits which can drive business behavior
- Formulate a strategy to make your interactions with Japanese stakeholders more productive
- Learn negotiation strategies developed from real life case studies – see what works and what doesn’t, when dealing with Japanese businesses
- Introduction to Japan, covering an overview of History, Geography, Language, Arts, Sports, Religion, Government, Cuisine, Politics, Economy and Contemporary Topics. Outline commonly faced situations while doing business with the Japanese, appreciate ground realities and common issues
- Understand the cultural traits that can influence how you do business with the Japanese, including: Punctuality, Discipline, Hierarchy, Community, the concept of “Face”, Respect, “Wrapping of words”, Harmony, Privacy and Space, Issuing Refusals
- Learn about corporate etiquette requirements while doing business with the Japanese, including meeting and greeting protocol (bowing, exchanging cards), addressing people appropriately, negotiating, dining etiquette (incl. how to use chopsticks), dressing, issuing and receiving invitations, gift giving protocol, eye contact
- Through real life business case studies, understand what works when doing business with the Japanese, and what does not. Apply the learning of cultural traits to formulate a strategy to achieve the best business outcomes for your particular context
How long do I have to use my sessions?
All session packages are valid for a limited period of time, as below:
1. Single session program – Please use within 2 weeks of enrollment
2. For all session programs with more than 1 session, if your course has “n” sessions, please use them within “n weeks”. For example, if you have a 30 session course, you need to use these 30 sessions within 30 weeks.
This also helps ensure regularity in sessions, critical to the learning process!
Who are the trainers?
Our trainers are specialized by topic. For interview preparation courses, for example, the faculty includes senior panelists (e.g. ex-bankers, IIM graduates, senior professionals) with years of interviewing experience. For professional development courses, our trainers are among the best behavioral trainers from India and abroad and have a minimum of 10 years of training experience under their belts.
Do I need to install anything to attend online classes?
No – you do not need to install anything extra. All you need is:
1. A computer with a broadband internet connection
2. Microphone and speakers (or a headset with mike and speakers)
3. Web-cams are optional
I could not attend a class – am I allowed to reschedule?
For group courses, no reschedules are permitted. However, if you miss the session, a recording of the session will be available to you free of charge.
For individual courses, depending upon the length of the course, we allow a certain number reschedules free of charge:
1. For a 6 – 15 session course – 1 free reschedule
2. For a 16 -25 session course – 2 free reschedules
3. For a course with more than 25 sessions – 3 reschedules
I’ve enrolled – what happens next?
For an individual course (1:1) once you enrol, we will contact you within 24 hours to set up a free counselling session. This is usually 15-20 minutes long and involves the following:
1. Understand your particular needs and customize the course for you
2. Get your preferred days and time-slots for the classes to schedule the course
For a group course, you will receive an email with your confirmation code and classroom details within 24 hours of enrollment. Just use the classroom details to join the class as per schedule. If you have any questions, you can always get in touch: email@example.com
What if I am not satisfied with the course?
If you are not satisfied after your first session, you will get a 100% refund, no questions asked (applicable to all online courses).